Friday, 6 May 2016

12 Mixed Media Works of 2016 ~ May ~ Cosmic Hair

It's a new mixed media month, yay but are you like me and occasionally a little late at changing the page on your calendars? Sorry I'm running a tad late this month.
Welcome to May's intergalactic episode of 12 Mixed Media Works of 2016 lol...

This month I wanted to give my watercolours some love, although what I really wanted to do was cosmic style hair. I had a little go on yupo paper but felt the colours weren't deep enough, I probably could try this technique with alcohol inks/markers too. But I felt watercolours is the easiest medium for random bleeds and blends...

I'm calling it Cosmic, I'm sure you've seen variations of this style, but it's so fun to do, she could be like an angel amongst the stars, a little mysterious perhaps? Well, it's all good fun, I hope you have a go too.

This would make a great gift, or cover for a sketchbook, journal page, simply framed or the front of a special handmade greeting card.



Supplies:
  • Watercolour paper, I've used cold pressed (nice and textured)
  • Mixed media templates and female face stamps(links below)
  • Daniel Smith Watercolors :
  • Hair ~ Ultramarine violet, Cobalt Blue,  Opera Pink, Payne's Gray
  • Skin ~ Quinacridone Burnt Orange, Greenish Raw Umber, Permanent Alizarin Crimson, Yellow Ochre
  • Inks: Versafine; Onyx Black, Smokey Gray.
  • Pretty Napkin (a supermarket find)
  • Liquitex Matte medium
  • Posca pen(white)

I have even put together a little video showing the steps to create this piece...
I've kept to a 7x7 inch mixed media square like last few months but you can of course create any size piece you want.



I'm pretty pleased with her cosmic look, I enjoyed using my watercolours, they are like magic, I love how they revive the instant you add water, how lovely.
I've decided with the vast array of white inked pens I own, the posca pen is still my favourite and I realise it's because the ink drys with a matte finish, I think it then works more harmoniously with the rest of the artwork.
I wanted to paint her skin very simply with thin layers of colour yet I couldn't resist giving her the rosiest of cheeks.

As well as her lips, I had fun painting her eyes the same cosmic effect, although it's a little hard to make out on such a small scale.
I may have had a little trouble adding just a bit too much medium to the tissue which tore in places, but I just patched it up a bit, hey it's all mixed media.


Thank you to the lovely ladies Aurora and Elena for joining in last months I will be in touch about your prize.
Here's the place to share your own project inspired by this month's 


"12 MMW of 2016"...


To Get Started: 
Click on the (add your link) button at the bottom of the post. 
After you enter your info, click (next step) and you'll be able to select the photo you wish to display. 
*note: you may link from your blog or from a public hosting site. please only post your project photo relating to this month's mixed media work...
And your's could be picked to win a lovely Paperbabe Stamps Prize.


4 comments:

  1. Wowowow! Running out of time again, while thinking if I do my project in my art journal or on a separate project like the previous ones. I've thought about a way to make the hair with the materials I owne. Will see what comes out. Cheers :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job. Aurora, fantastic "take on"....no time for me on this one :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments!
Enjoy a wonderfully creative day!
HuGs Kim